Select a health category:
- Advice for Life Awards
- Blood Pressure
- Cold & Flu
- Skin Care
- Smoking Cessation
Breast Cancer Awareness
Cancer is characterized by the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. Breast cancer is any type of malignant growth in the breast tissue. No one knows exactly why a normal breast cell becomes cancerous but there is a combination of risk factors.
- Women whose mothers or sisters had breast cancer have a higher risk of developing the disease
- The hormones estrogen and progesterone are involved in breast cancer formation
- Breast cancer becomes much more common as women grow older
- Having had cancer in one breast increases the risk of having it in the other
- Long term use (5 years or more) of combined estrogen and progestin therapy increases your risk
Breast cancer symptoms vary widely from lumps and swelling to skin changes. You may experience nipple tenderness, thickening in or near the breast or in the underarm area, or many breast cancers have no obvious symptoms at all.
Here are some breast cancer prevention steps you can take on your own.
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay physically active
- Limit the amount of fat in your diet
- Avoid smoking
In addition to lifestyle changes, be vigilant about early detection of breast cancer. Start having yearly mammograms at the age of 40. If you notice a new lump or skin changes make an appointment to see your doctor for an evaluation. Your PharmaChoice pharmacist is available to answer any questions you may have.